Galaktoboureko is a traditional Greek dessert made with layers of golden-brown crispy phyllo, sprinkled with melted butter and then filled with the creamiest custard and bathed in scented syrup.. and is quite simply heavenly!!! This is a very easy to follow Galaktoboureko recipe for you to recreate this traditional sweet delight from scratch with Olympian Semolina and Vanilla Powder.
Galaktobouriko Greek Custard Dessert
- 1 cup
Olympian Semolina Fine
- 1 tsp
Olympian Vanilla Powder
- 8 cups Milk
- 1 cup Sugar
- 5 Egg yolks
- 2 Eggs
- 1 tsp Lemon rind
- 700 g Filo Pastry
- 3/4 cup Unsalted butter
- 1 cup Sugar
- 2 cups Water
- 1 Cinnamon stick
- In a sauce pan add sugar eggs and milk. Bring to boil stirring frequently.
- Add to hot mixture Semolina, vanilla powder and lemon rind. Stir until mixture thickens.Once the mixture has thickened turn off the stove.
- Melt Butter and brush each filo pastry individually adding one by one in a deep pan. Onceyou have layered half the packet (approx.10 sheets).
- Pour custard cream in the pan once bottom filo pastry has been laid.
- Brush the remainder of filo pastry (approx. 10 sheets) and place on top of custard cream.
- Butter the top of the last pastry sheet well.
- Get a sharp knife and place cuts in you filo pastry into desired sizes.
- Bake for approximately 170˚ for 50 minutes.
- Whilst baking prepare syrup by adding all the ingredients, simmer until you have a nice syrup. Let it cool.
- Once your pastry is a golden colour, remove from the over and poor cool syrup over pastry. Cool and Serve.