Galaktoboureko is a traditional Greek dessert made with layers of golden-brown crispy phyllo, sprinkled with melted butter and then filled with the creamiest custard and bathed in scented syrup.. and is quite simply heavenly!!! This is a very easy to follow Galaktoboureko recipe for you to recreate this traditional sweet delight from scratch with Olympian Semolina and Vanilla Powder.
Watch the video recipe instructions below or scroll down for the written instructions.
Galaktobouriko Greek Custard Dessert
- 2 litres Milk
- 1 cup
Olympian Semolina Fine
- 3/4 cup Sugar
- 250 g Butter
- 3 Egg yolks
- 1 tsp Lemon rind
- 1 tsp Olympian Vanilla Powder
- 1 pack Filo Pastry (375g)
- 1 slice Lemon
- 2 cups Water
- 1.5 cup Sugar
- 3 pieces Cloves
- 2 Cinnamon stick
- Add syrup ingredients into a saucepan, bring to boil, then reduce the heat, then boil for a further 4 minutes.
- Place to the side and allow it to cool.
- In a larger saucepan add the egg yolk, milk, semolina, vanilla powder, lemon rind, sugar, and 62.5g of melted butter and bring to boil. Constantly stirring with a wooden spoon until the mixture thickens.
- You will need to place half of the filo sheets on the bottom layer of the baking dish and the other half on top. Butter each sheet and place it on the bottom, add your cream mixture, butter the other half of the sheets one by one, and place it on the top. Making sure the last layer is buttered well. With a knife cut the Galaktoboureko into small diamond pieces as shown in the image.
- Place the Galaktoboureko in the oven at approximately 180 degrees for 50 minutes or until golden.
- As soon as your Galaktoboureko is cooked, evenly pour the syrup over it. Let it cool and serve.