If you have not tried Spanakopita before, you’re in for a treat! Spanakopita is a delicious savoury Greek pie made of perfectly crispy layers of phyllo dough and a comforting filling of spinach, feta and ricotta cheese. Spanakopita makes a great side dish next to lamb or lemon chicken, but it can also easily stand alone as the main dish.
- Rolling pin
- Large tablecloth
- 2 cups
Olympian Plain Flour
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/2 cup Olive Oil
- 200 mls Water
- 1/2 cup Unsalted butter
- 2 tbsp Vinegar
- 250 g Ricotta
- 250 g Feta
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 Large egg
- 250 g Spinach, blanched
- 100 ml Olive Oil
- Make a soft dough combining flour, salt, vinegar, olive oil and water.
- Melt butter and oil in saucepan on low heat.
- Portion dough in small round balls, roll out, brushing with melted mixture. Cover with Plastic. Wrap to avoid drying out.
- Prepare the working surface by dusting the table cloth with flour.
- Place the dough on the table, dust with flour and start rolling out until 55-60 cm diameter. Dust with flour all the time, this will prevent sticking.
- When you've achieved wanted size, spoon 3 tbs of oil around the dough, and spread with your fingers. Do this with all of your round balls of dough. Rest the dough for 30 minutes.
- Now slowly and gently pull the pastry from the centre to the edge (Back of your hand is better to use - go around the dough. Round tables are perfect for this!)
- Dot the fillings around edges, turn dough from outside edge to cover the filling.
- With a spoon add some extra oil around the edges, and centre of pastry.
- Start rolling the pastry towards the center, pulling gently at the same time towards your self - this will add stretch your pastry, ensuring thin, crisp appearance.
- Cut the pastry in the middle and continue to roll inwards, until all is rolled up.
- You will get a circle of made pastry/pita, which you need to cut and start rolling into a spiral form.
- Oil the top of pita - spray is fine, and bake for 25-30 min.