Olive oil cake is a classic throughout Greece and once you have a taste you’ll know why. Somehow it works…all the flavours sing in perfect harmony and the cake is extremely moist and, in this recipe, whipping the sugar with the whole eggs produces a fine and rather airy texture. While some people may think that these cakes will have an overwhelming olive oil flavour, but nothing could be further from the truth. If you use a good quality, fruity olive oil, you will find it to be really delicate, with a just a hint of lemon.
This recipe can be made a couple of days ahead of time. In fact, the longer this cake sits, the better it tastes. It’s also rather substantial, so don’t be alarmed at the large amount of olive oil called for nor the fact that the batter will be rather runny. It will be gorgeous… I promise!!
Olive Oil Cake
- 3 cups Olympian Special White Flour
- 3 tsp Baking Powder
- 2 tsp Lemon Zest
- 1 cup Respect extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup Plain Greek yogurt
- 1 1/2 cups Sugar
- 5 Egg yolks
- 1 tbsp Unsalted butter
- Confectioner’s sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 F degrees.
- In a separate bowl beat olive oil, yogurt and sugar for 10 minutes.
- Beat egg yolks in a separate small bowl.
- Add egg yolks to oil mixture, folding in until the mixture is smooth. Add flour and mix well.
- Brush a 9x9 baking dish with olive oil. Add cake batter and bake for 1 hour.
- Brush cake with melted butter and sprinkle with confectioners sugar.
- Serve with coffee and enjoy!