The horiatiki salad or Greek Salad can be served as an appetizer, can be an excellent main course as well, especially in the summer. After a day on the beach, this salad accompanied by some crusty bread and a glass of wine hits the spot every time!
Be sure to use good quality Greek kalamata olives and creamy feta cheese such as Omiros Feta, made from sheep’s and goat milk, are a must in a traditional Greek salad. And the cheese is never crumbled, but served in large chunks or blocks and drizzled with olive oil, crowning the salad.
- 2-3 Tomatoes
- 1 medium Cucumber
- 5-6 Greek Kalamata Black Olives
- 1/2 small Onion
- 1/2 small Green Bell Pepper
- 1 chunk Omiros Feta Cheese, (approx 80g)
- 6 tbsp Respect Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Plus more for drizzling
- 1 tsp Oregano
- 3 tsp Red wine vinegar
- 1 pinch Salt
- Cut the tomato in wedges-do not cut in cubes. If the tomato is large, cut wedges in half.
- Peel the cucumber and cut in slices that are about ½ inch thick, you may cut the rounds in half.
- Slice onion and green bell pepper in thin slices.
- Put tomatoes and cucumbers in a shallow bowl and combine. Place the thinly sliced onion and pepper on top.
- Add the olives. Sprinkle with oregano.
- Drizzle with some olive oil and a splash of vinegar. Add some salt to taste.
- Place a piece of feta on top and sprinkle the feta with oregano and another drizzle of olive oil.