This dessert has been on my radar for quite some time now and it finally worked its way into my kitchen. It would be perfect to serve at any time of year, but I think it would be well received if this tart was on your menu this coming weekend. It’s simple, delicious and to be honest does exactly what it says in its title!
Ricotta Almond Tart With A Biscota Crust
- 1 Packet Olympian Biscota with roasted almonds (about 10 pieces) or enough to make 2 cups when crumbed
- 8 tbsp butter, melted
- 1 cup whole milk, heated to almost boiling
- 3 egg yolks
- ½ cup sugar
- ¼ cup flour
- ½ tsp almond extract
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ¾ cup ricotta cheese
- sliced almonds, chocolate chips, chocolate syrup, or fruits of the season for garnish
- Place the biscota in the bowl of a food processor and process until fine crumbs are formed.
- Thoroughly combine the crumbs with the butter and press into a 10 inch tart pan going up the sides if possible.
- Bake the tart shell in a 350F oven for 15 minutes.
- In a double boiler over simmering water quickly whisk the egg yolks, sugar and flour together.
- Slowly add the hot milk, whisking constantly.
- Whisk over the heat until the mixture forms a custard like consistency. Add the vanilla and almond extracts. Remove from the heat and let cool to room temperature.
- Beat the ricotta until it softens and then add to the custard mixture and thoroughly incorporate.
- Pour the ricotta custard mixture into the tart shell and bake at 325F for 30 minutes or until the centre is set.
- Cool to room temperature. Garnish with sliced almonds, chocolate or fruit of the season.
- Chill thoroughly before serving.
RECOMMENDED PRODUCTS USED IN THIS RECIPE: